Friday, March 29, 2013

40k Book Review: Hammer and Anvil


I'm not going to lie, this is probably one of my favorite 40k books now. This one really surprised me: I went into reading it with rather low expectations and received a fantastic story in return. To summarize, this takes the story of Sanctuary 101 (from the 3rd or 4th edition Necron codex, I can never remember what edition it was..) and expands it into a full-blown story by following up on the slaughter there with Sisters of Battle reinforcements. But there is so much more to this book! It is the most 'modern' look into Necron (as far as I am aware) as it makes use of nearly every new model from the newest codex. In addition to this, there is a ton of subterfuge and scheming done between the Sisters of Battle, the Ordo Xenos, and the Mechanicum. I would recommend this book a hundred times over to any fan of the Sisters, the Necron, or even those who appreciate the 40k universe as a whole. Obviously, if you are obsessive over Tyranids then you won't like this book!

PROS

  • Wonderful story that kept me reading into the small hours of the night.
  • Great view into the mindsets of the Adeptus Sororitas and the Necron
  • A diverse and interesting cast of characters
CONS
  • None. This book is great!
I would also like to add that this is the second book in a row that my favorite character has lived through. That makes it a new record as my favorite character almost always dies, especially in 40k books. Anyways, this book is an amazing read and well worth the money.

Thanks for reading and feel free to ask any questions you may have!

-Symmaccus